« If you wanted to know what search terms and posts were most popular in 2006, this is the post for you | Main | The forward thinking of the MTA »

January 28, 2007

Thoughts on House of Pain lyrics and the Sega Dreamcast that you may or may not find interesting, depending on how much you like rap and video games

"Trying to play me out like as if my name was Sega"

That's a line from House of Pain's 1992 hit, Jump Around. At the time, there were two big video game console companies, Sega and Nintendo. The choice to reference Sega instead of Nintendo might have been influenced by the edgier image that Sega had at the time with their console, the Genesis. It might also have something to do with finding a rhyme for the preceding line -- there's not that much that rhymes with Schwarzenegger. The next line, "but I ain't going out like like no punk bitch" was moving onto a different thought, but come 2001, it took on another meaning. Sega's system at the time, the Dreamcast, was struggling in its competition with the PlayStation 2, the GameCube, and the Xbox, so they announced that they were throwing in the towel. They ceased production and gave up the console business, deciding to stick to making software for other companies' systems. Sega, in the end, went out not unlike a punk bitch. Prophetic words from Everlast and House of Pain.

Posted by Will at January 28, 2007 9:14 PM

Comments

While Dreamcast may not have lived to fight another day, the seminal joys of Soul Calibur brought to us by Sega in the early 2000s will paint our souls for eternity.

Some classic Voldo:

Posted by: Dave at January 29, 2007 3:29 PM

Hey my two favorite things, rap music and video games. At least Sega had a nice run with it, unlike the 3DO or the Atari Jaguar. If you know what I'm talking about then you know they didn't make a big splash and you are truly a video game nerd.

Posted by: Sue at January 31, 2007 3:14 PM

@Dave:

I guess I qualify, because in 1994 I literally drove 200 miles round-trip in a sleet-and-freezing-rain storm in my barely roadworthy Toyota Tercel with a window missing in the back covered with duct-taped plastic, to buy a 3DO system when the price on it dropped to a "reasonable" $400 from its original price of like 700 bucks. I paid part of this princely sum with rolled quarters I'd been saving in my sock drawer.The rest of the money came from selling my beloved Sega Genesis/Sega CD system and a whole stack of games. I had to have the 3DO because it had a pixel-perfect version of Super Street Fighter II.

Yeah, thats right, just for that one game.

Posted by: Al Hogar at January 31, 2007 4:40 PM

Sorry, that was @ Sue's comment. "posted by" line position totally threw me.

Posted by: Al Hogar at January 31, 2007 4:42 PM

You're not the first person to make that mistake, Al, I apologize. I probably should have spent last weekend working on the comment formatting instead of making those digg/delcious/reddit buttons that no one's ever going to use.

Posted by: Will at January 31, 2007 10:27 PM

This is not the only House of Pain video game reference.
Exerpt from "Top O' The Morning to Ya" also from Fine Malt Lyrics, 1992:

The T's hung like a Shetland pony,
Gettin' paid like Sony
So never ever try to play me out like a phony

Posted by: addition at March 15, 2007 12:48 PM

Hey Will,

I like rap and videogames, and I hold that YOU, sir, are in fact, the punk bitch. EA sold out Sega and you know it. NFL 2k was too good so sony and ea colluded to kill the last sega console. Fuck you and your bullshit six year self righteousness. Do I like Sega? yeah. Too much? maybe. But to pound on the Dreamcast NOW? That is uncalled for. You sir, are a twat.

Respect,