« Monday links | Main | This song has been stuck in my head for weeks, and I can't figure out where it's from »

November 19, 2006

A list of things that people seem to find hilarious, but I either never did or have gotten sick of for various reasons

• Ninjas
  • Monkeys
  • Midgets
  • Gratuitous use of the word "cheese"
  • Gratuitous use of the word "pants"
  • People in big theme park size outfits fighting each other
  • Men running around in their briefs
  • The Interweb (I'd put Internets here as well, but I recently found out GWB originated it, so I'll let it slide )
  • Pirates

As a special bonus, here's a wildly unscientific graph of the distribution of results from searching google with each of those words and "funny:"

And as an extra special bonus, a pirate joke:

Q: What's not funny?
A: Pirates arrr not funny.

Feel free to add things that you don't find funny in the comments.

Posted by Will at November 19, 2006 10:19 PM

Comments

OK, I waited 3 days for someone to post before I did...

Gratuitous "men at urinals" scene - we get it: y'all pee standing up.

Posted by: dianne at November 22, 2006 11:39 AM

I'd never noticed the urinal thing before, but I'll keep an eye out for it. This is a little more specific than the rest of the list, and I wasn't going to mention it, but since they keep milking it to death, I want to add those Geico cavemen.

Posted by: Will at November 23, 2006 5:33 PM

...and that friggin' gecko!

Posted by: dianne at November 27, 2006 2:03 PM

Everything Geico does is terrible. I listen to a lot of radio at work and am subjected to a ton of Geico ads, some of which attempt to call direct attention to how 'humor' is their strong suit when it comes to advertising. My goodness, it all sucks. I thought they were on to something with the Little Richard TV ads, but when Verne Troyer and Peter Graves showed up and it was awkwardly unclear what kind of 'filter' they were for the information the 'normal people' gave, I realized that the ad execs didn't really understand their own joke. Oh, here's a radio ad now, with the gecko with the British accent, pandering to New Yorkers. Followed by Brian Grosz talking about Chase. Weird world.

Posted by: Seth at November 28, 2006 10:58 AM

Viva Brian Grosz!

Posted by: dianne at November 28, 2006 1:54 PM

What has been driving me crazy is those Nissan Sentra commercials about how you can live in it for a week, and there's the obligatory slacker-gen dork with his WACKY RANDOM accoutrements, such as the smiling piece of toast. The whole WACKY RANDOM thing, for whose infection I blame Cartoon Network and things like Sealab (2050? 2040? 2010? I forgeT)-- I just don't get it. Random catchphrases and/or 80's pop culture references repeated ad nauseam after long pauses peppered liberally with staring or eyeblinks in cartoons.

Though, I remembered the ad is for the Sentra, and I never can keep car ad campaigns straight, so perhaps they're on to something. However, I don't know how much that's worth when I cannot even recall what the color of the car in the commercial was, let alone what it looks like or any of its selling points, and can only remember that I am annoyed by it.

Posted by: Leigh at November 29, 2006 2:21 PM

Two things that I don't find funny: use of the phrase "Get Er Done" [or "Git 'Er Done"] and comment posts months after the original post. Begging your pardon, Good Sir, but this phrase is killing me. It started out not funny then the Air Force mobilized it to super high volume not funny. Is this a problem up north too? I'm thinking of relocating and I'm trying to figure out just how far I need to look.

Posted by: Al B at December 23, 2006 3:44 PM

Not familiar with that Nissan ad, but if it's anything like Adult Swim, I'm with you on its not funniness. And while I appreciate why you dislike "Git r done," Al, I actually kind of think it's funny. Just because my old roommate would talk about his uncle walking around with a hat that said the phrase, and repeating it whenever he got the chance. What I'm trying to say is "Git r done" can be appreciated ironically, as long as you just hear stories about people saying it, not actually having to listen to people say it.

Posted by: Will at December 24, 2006 5:45 PM