« Being interviewed is fun | Main | The Weather Man, building shots, and Chicken Little »

October 22, 2005

I've seen twenty video game movies

and I wrote an article for Slate about it.

Writing for Slate is a lot like writing for diogenes club except that somebody pays me for it and people read it.

My favorite part of the experience was going to a press screening of Doom and sitting in a big theatre with twenty old men in glasses, presumably with some graduate degree in film, waiting for a movie based on a game they had probably played or even heard of, starring a professional wrestler.

Posted by Will at October 22, 2005 12:00 PM

Comments

As far as I know
"Alone in the Dark" was for the Playstation 1

Your review prompted me to write one of my own actually.

Doom was alright, but could have been way better though.
Enough with the whole genetic mutants things with movies :(

Posted by: Gnosis at October 22, 2005 1:37 PM

No, no, no!

"Alone in the Dark" was a PC-game released in the early 90's. In fact, it was immensly huge at the time it came out. So when the article writer managed to proclaim this:

"What system did Alone in the Dark come out on, Atari Jaguar?"

.. he lost all the stock he had built up with me through an otherwise very amusing article.

PS! The Playstation game you are talking about is probably "Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare" which came out much later than the original.

PPS! Having watched all movies based on videogames is nothing to brag about. Try having watched all movies based on comics too!

Posted by: John at October 22, 2005 7:50 PM

Wing Commander.

Wing. Commander.

Posted by: Brian J. Levy at October 22, 2005 9:56 PM

I agree Doom should be on the top of the list.. Sadly. I do have to make a point though. The Doom games are really hellish and satanic. Its all about the armies of hell pouring in through a opened rift in the science outpost. The recent game Doom III makes a good story of this (kinda). I mean the first five minutes of the before mentioned game shows demon souls entering the bodies of the human workers and pretty much make zombies of them. Not to mention all the demons you fight who throw fire, and appear out of hellish rifts.

Also at one point you as the main character enter hell to fight the demons within, and ultimately try to close the portal.

I recommend you see Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Its about the game of the same name a few years after the ending.

Posted by: Josh at October 27, 2005 1:55 PM

Dude, you counted Echs vs. Sever.

Posted by: Isaac at December 15, 2005 1:23 PM