« Consider this party crashed | Main | Wait - I started a blog? »

October 1, 2004

Margaret Cho sucks

Margaret Cho has no less than three stand up movies to her credit. One would think that that would indicate an incredible stand up comic. I mean, Martin Lawrence only has two.

But flipping through the channels the other night, I came upon Ms. Cho in one of her movies doing an extended impression of her mother. Yes, she's still doing it.

I laughed at that impression once. ONCE.

Now, far be it from me to blame a comic for relying on material that works. Look how far it got Jeff Foxworthy. But the rest of Cho's act is just bland.

So at this point, you may be asking yourself, who cares. So she's a bad comic, so what. What did she ever do to you. Here it is. I've figured out why she's so popular.

White, middle class people are sitting around thinking, you know, I want to laugh at Asian stereotypes, but I can't help feeling guilty about it. If only there were a way for me to enjoy someone making that funny buck-toothed face and using that ridiculous accent, and not trigger my white liberal guilt. Hey, there's a new Margaret Cho movie out, sweet!

What is my point? Do I think that minority comics shouldn't make fun of their ethnicity and if they do, white people shouldn't laugh at it? No. Do I think that putting an hour and a half of stand up into a multiplex is a waste of theatre space to begin with? Yes, but that's besides the point. I don't know what my point is. Margaret Cho just sucks.

Posted by Will at October 1, 2004 5:30 PM

Comments

It is a shame that you disregard Ms. Cho's entire body of work due to the false assumption that she is pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Cho's work is a post-modern exploration of the underlying Asian-American racial tension in this country. Her craft is that of the performance artist, not the common stand-up comedian.

In short: way to parade your ignorance around the blogosphere. In summary: you can eat it.

Posted by: Justin Bateman at October 1, 2004 7:39 PM

Um. Racist. Ahem. Coff. Coff. Yeah.

Posted by: Casimir at October 2, 2004 3:52 AM

she'd be funnier if her tits were bigger.

Posted by: brian at October 5, 2004 2:03 PM

"A post-modern exploration of the underlying Asian-American racial tension in this country"??? Why not tattoo "I'M A SANCTIMONIOUS PRICK!" on your forehead? Margaret Cho is not funny. Not even close, and to try to craft some bullshit explanation as to WHY she's not funny is truly ignorant.

Uh, she's not supposed to be funny! Yeah, that's the ticket!

The reason Cho has three movies and multiple HBO specials to her name is because she espouses a liberal line of thinking that those who make the decisions find appealing. It's a double whammy: get your ideology parroted in the name of comedy (excuse me...performance art) while giving a minority, particularly one of those less troublesome minorities, a boost.

Go back to laughing at Cho and her "Ah so!" comedy and keep telling yourself it's OK to laugh, after all, she's one...right?

Posted by: Hellvis at March 27, 2005 3:19 AM

I'm guessing you haven't actually watched any of the 3 Cho video's you're blathering about because her mother doesn't make it into any of the shows very much - the first one more than the rest. Secondly - margaret doesn't make fun of Asians - she makes fun of racist dickwads like you who can't stand to see Asian issues being discussed on tv or an Asian woman, godforbid, talking about her family in a way that makes you squirm with how different it is from your white norm. I'm guessing you go all red and hot when she pointedly calls out the racist stereotypes she's had to put up with. Does it make your dick shrivel in your jeans to hear a woman call out sexism and racism and to make people double-over LAUGHING while doing so? Poor baby. Grow the fuck up.

Posted by: JesusSays at July 9, 2005 10:18 PM

Hmmm, Will "go[ing] all red and hot"... as if he weren't already.

Posted by: ken at July 14, 2005 10:38 AM

will is both red and hot. plus, I've never seen him wear jeans.

but I stand by my original comment...

Posted by: brian at July 18, 2005 12:12 AM

i don't consider myself racist or redneck or anything. but i do thing margaret cho sucks. i mean yeah it's fine for her to make fun of herself, i laughed at it to. like 10 years ago, when it was fresh. most comics tend to evolve to craft their humor, but what i've seen from margaret it's the same stale thing that she was pandering when she was starting out in the clubs. i mean it's fine to do edgy humor, i'm white and i'll laugh at it if it's funny. but she seems more hateful than actually funny. richard pryor, eddie murphy, hell even eddie izzard has taken stereotypes and made it funny. but you know the difference between them and margaret? they moved forward. at some point she needs to say, i'm not going to do the my mother leaving messages on my answering machine bit and move forward like the rest of the world.

Posted by: stilletto at September 1, 2005 2:29 AM

first of all, hellvis your a retard. Second of all margaret Cho is fucking stupid. Why do people think its funny to watch her stand there and pucker up her lips and stick out her pudgy cheeks for half an hour. I didnt think it was funny the first five seconds, and was much less impressed as time went on. It seems like Margaret Cho can just walk on stage, stick her fat cheeks out and people will laugh. Then about 20 minutes later, she'll say something like "gay guys are better than straight guys because straight guys are bad people" and people will give her a standing ovation. Fuck you margaret cho you talentless ho!

Posted by: cho sucks at September 4, 2005 2:27 AM

Margaret Cho was supposed to have a book signing at Boarders in Chicago last night. When I arrived, I was forbidden to enter the event area without proof that I had purchased her newest book. What a corporate move from a commentator known for her anti-corporate rants. Needless to say I walked out of there ...

Posted by: TheGirl at October 26, 2005 2:28 PM

Margaret Cho SUCKS. She is the most embarrasingly unfunny "comedian" I've ever had the displeasure to watch. The ONLY reason she hasn't disappeared completely is because she came out, and the gay community likes to support their own..Nothing wrong with that, but at least pick some one funny, someone with a shred of talent.

Posted by: fatguy at December 21, 2005 1:04 AM

Margaret Cho is proof that you can't go wrong appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's easy to say that you like someone if they agree with you and old Maggot Choke seems to be the representative for the oppressed left! She loves rap for it's "beautiful lyrics" as she puts it, they're not lyrics Cho, they are words that normally degrade women and I have yet to find a gay rapper! I liked Ms. Cho when she was just a comedian, at least then I could laugh a little, now I just shake my head and hope that she goes away. To say that Margaret Cho sucks would be an insult to anyone or anything that sucks. She is just pitifully stupid and inane!

Posted by: LiberalConservative at January 24, 2006 1:17 PM

bullshit will ur a fag. margaret cho sucks my balls

Posted by: Anonymous at April 2, 2006 12:14 AM

dude, im gay, she panders to gays, end of story. Shes funnier than most female comedians. But being a female comedian and gaining a gay audience is how kathy griffin survived and its how margaret stays strong.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 27, 2006 2:35 AM

Margaret Cho is the WORST comedian I've ever seen. I saw her in college when she came to our campus for the entire student body. She was not only offensive but extremely unfunny. By the end of the show only about 20% of the students were left and I attend a large university. There's your proof, she sucks end of conversation.

Posted by: Margaret HO HO HO! SUCKS! at December 7, 2006 3:47 PM

Well... if you hate Cho so much, STOP FUCKING WATCHING HER!! God Damn it... get a life, and stop bashing people on the internet.

you'll get over your hatred of cho, i PROMISE...

Posted by: Jessi at February 7, 2007 3:30 PM

Margaret CHOW-CHOW is as funny as a spear through your back. How did this pig even get on TV let alone here in America?

Posted by: Josh at March 20, 2007 12:01 AM

I'm from the Bay Area. Margaret Cho's politics are pretty middle-of-the-road by local standards. Certainly to the right of mine.

And as for Ho Ho Ho!, where do you go to university? BYU?

Posted by: Figlio di Bonaccio at April 24, 2007 1:07 AM

Cho is truly a HORRID comedian. I tried watching her stand up, didn't laugh once, it's so damn bad. Her fanbase consists of people who are upper/upper-middle class, or middle class who are snobby and think that she is hip and clever.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 25, 2007 3:23 AM

YOU ALL HAVE NO LIVES SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GO DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIVES INSTEAD OF BITCHING ABOUT PEOPLE ON HERE, PEOPLE WHO HAVE MORE MONEY THEN YOU!!!!

Posted by: LALA at May 12, 2007 1:22 AM

brian is right...nuff said.

Posted by: brianisright at July 17, 2007 1:20 PM

The stereotypes don't even bother me that much. It's the fact that most of her jokes, regardless of content, are predictable and fall flat on their face. Same with Carlos "Ned" Mencia, when he's not stealing a joke.

Posted by: Jay at September 17, 2007 1:25 PM

Cho is a boring, SUPER unfunny Commie-dien. You want "genius"? - Go watch an Andy Kaufman video, "I'm from Hollywood" or "My breakfast with Blassie".

Posted by: chadi at October 3, 2007 11:06 PM

RIGHT ON BRO!!!!!!

Ignore all these fools, who fall back to calling you a racist and other BS, because they can't come up with meaningful arguments.

Ok I am Asian so I understand the culture Cho is comming from. Oddly her comedy seems to be popular with allot of my white friends. I watched one of her DVD's with 3 of my other Asian friends and it was the oddest experience. Only time I ever watched an entire comedy dvd in total silence, (I think I MIGHT, not sure have smirked ONCE!). Dear GOD, Cho's entire routine was stupid, and not like "oops my major is philosophy" stupid but uber stupid, like "I just invested all my retirement savings in Enron" stupid.

Shocked at what a dissapointment the famous Cho turned out to be, I came upon this website trying to figure ou why anyone found her funny at all. Now I realize the reason is .......... well there is no reason at all.

Posted by: God at November 2, 2007 9:35 AM

I saw margaret cho at the cyndi lauper true colors tour. She is uncreative and not funny. Same mom jokes and every other word is pussy, dick, and fuck. This was a tour for gay rights and to help advance gays. She does nothing but set us back. She makes us look like retarded classless deviants. I hate her. Cyndi Lauper rocked!

Posted by: margaret cho sucks at November 7, 2007 5:29 PM

I've only watched her on HBO specials, and after 15 minutes flip to another channel. I tried on two occasions too! I like to think my sense of humor ranges from Steve Martin to Dane Cook, early SCTV to Mad TV. I like female stand-ups and folks like Terri Garr, Kathy Griffin, even Ellen (but not Rosie O or Roseanne Barr) have got some consistient cutting edge humor.
Somehow Ms Cho fizzes out after a short time, very one dimensional and...boring! Maybe a boob job WOULD help!

Posted by: aviator3354 at November 18, 2007 9:59 PM

"Ms. Cho's entire body of work"

OK, now THAT made me laugh.

Posted by: dasff at December 3, 2007 12:13 AM

Take it from a half asian half american, she sucks, maybe a teenager has a higher sense of humor then a middle age american, who knows, maybe when I become that age I will be laughing at crappy shit like Margeret Cho.

Posted by: happa at May 17, 2008 4:15 PM

Posted by: happa at May 17, 2008 4:15 PM

I just saw my first Margaret Cho standup segment on HBO! Man, I gotta say, it was almost as funny as watching puppies being put to sleep for an hour straight. Honestly, most Holocaust documentaries are funnier...

Posted by: Andrew at August 23, 2008 4:20 AM

im sitting here watching the "cho" show. complete garbage.i just threw up on my keyboard. she should be shot.

Posted by: rock at September 26, 2008 1:58 AM

Posted by: rock at September 26, 2008 1:59 AM

M.C. was funny- the first time I heard her about 15 years ago. She's a one trick pony. Shit ain't even fresh.

And no, female stand-ups AREN'T funny. I should know. I am one.

Posted by: Lindsay at September 1, 2010 7:31 AM